Thursday, July 23, 2015

Why do Americans use so much air conditioning?

Megan McArdle explains:

Any American who has spent much time around visiting Europeans has probably had some version of this conversation: "Why do you use so much air conditioning?" they ask. "Your buildings are ridiculously cold. I have to wear a sweater inside in the summer! And it's bad for the environment. You shouldn't do that." . . .

For Europeans reading this, I may actually be able to clear up this baffling issue: Americans use air conditioning more because America is a lot hotter than Europe is. . . .

I've lived through heat waves in Northern Europe, which cause much the same hysteria that we see in Washington when two inches of snow is forecast. Because we have air conditioning, Americans do not have to panic when the mercury rises. Nor do we have incredible fatalities among the old and vulnerable when they happen. . . .

You could argue that if Americans had not migrated en masse from the temperate north to the blistering sunbelt, we would need less energy for climate control. You could argue that, but you'd be wrong. Americans still expend much more energy heating their homes than cooling them. . . . On average, the move from cold areas to warm ones has actually saved energy, not caused us to use more.

1 comments:

CatherineM said...

Oh, I could write a book on what Europeans think they know about the U.S. and one is weather. I don't know how many times I have heard "it gets hot here too..." as if one were competing. In London in July they were all complaining about the 82 degree weather (and lovely cool evenings) and were annoyed with me for finding it comfortable. It was 105 in NYC!! Last year they were complaining in my London office that it was 72 in the evenings and too hot to sleep (yes, that's why I have AC!) so they caved and ordered a window unit.

The other thing is Geography. Germans thinking they can visit me and swing by Disney world in a rental van (in August!). Pre-garmin/mapquest, English calling me for directions to some business place in Milwaukee and they are shocked I can't help and that I have never been there. No idea how far things are. On the other hand I have been asked many times by co-workers overseas if I have ever been to New Jersey and if I have seen Tony Sopranos house (see, just as unsophisticated as many ignorant Americans. People are people!).