Monday, June 9, 2008

From 44 to 77 moments on the path to becoming #44

This is a sequel to the previous 44 moments on the path to becoming the 44th President of the United States of America.

Some of these are genuine "updates" in the sense that they happened after I posted the previous list, but there are also others that I just didn't get to last time.

As with the previous list, I've usually left out the speakers so that you can use this as a test of your campaign knowledge. If you feel like it.

And as with previous list, I owe a huge thanks to the Veracifier YouTube channel operated by Josh Marshall's great blog Talking Points Memo, where I got many of these clips from.

Here you go:

45. "I think we've made clear that the issue related to cocaine use is not something that [our] campaign was in any way raising."
[blog with video]

46. "Can I ask you about your ... uh ... why you're so angry?"
[transcript]

47. "It'll be dispirited. It'll be spirited. Because there are stark differences. I'm a proud, conservative, liberal Republican. Conservative Republican."
[video]

48. Obama on aliens
[video, 1:25 - end]

49. "Based on his remarks yesterday, well, I may not know him as well as I thought either."
[video at 1:45]

50. "I'll tell you what, I'm not going to put my lot in with economists."
[video, 2:15 - 3:00]

51. "Would you be happy with that being a home of a U.S. garrison like Guantanamo or Germany all those years, where we'd have 50,000 troops permanently stationed in that country?" "No, I would hope that we could bring them all home."
[video]

52. "I've now been in 57 states."
[video]

53. "I can't make her younger.... There's lots of things I can't do."
[video]

54. "If you have something that just directly contradicts the facts, and it's coming from a former president, I think that's a problem."
[video]

55. "I think that it's possible ... having the spotlight was something attractive to him."
[blog]

56. "Do you think Rev. Wright loves America as much as you do?"
[video at 2:20]

57. "You're not wearing a lapel pin, are you?"
[video]



58. "It's no more than an eloquent but empty call for change that promises no more than a holiday from history."
[video at 1:30]

59. "Sen. Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again."
[video at 0:20 - 0:35]

60. "Give me a break. This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I've ever seen."
[video]

61. "You said that the Iranians are training Al Qaeda. They're training extremist terrorists." "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not Al Qaeda."
[video, 0:55 - 1:15]

62. "We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California."
[video]

63. "Thanks for the question, you little jerk."
[video]

64. "A rare audience outburst over the agreement between 'rejecting' and 'denouncing.'"
[transcript]

65. "WHAT DI DHE DO AFORE HOW LONG AND WITH WHO ?? PLS TELL BOB HELLO BOB"
[blog]

66. "They were published on 9/11, and he said that he was just sorry they hadn't done more, and what they did was set bombs, and in some instances people died. ... I think that this is an issue that certainly the Republicans will be raising."
[video, 4:00 - 4:45]

67. "I approve this message. And not the other one."
[video]

68. "Actually, I don't know where you got that quote from."
[video, 1:30 - 2:00]

69. "There is nothing to base that on -- as far as I know."
[blog + video]

70. "Racism works in two different directions. I think they're attacking me because I'm white."
[blog]

71. "I see many of them in the audience here today."
[video]

72. "We disagree on a lot of issues, but I agree: you are the candidate of change."
[video at 2:00 - 2:15]

73. Obama dancing
[video]

74. "I think you could argue that Americans overall are better off."
[video, 2:15 - 2:30]

75. "Your problem ... is you don't know what you're talking about. ... You don't understand there's a difference between talking to the enemy, and appeasing."
[video]

76. "Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.... We have an obligation to call this what it is: the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."
[video]

77. "Boy, you'd better be president. You've gotta be president!"
[video]



(Photo of John McCain by Chris Dunn. Photo of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama from Suresh K. Photo of Bill Clinton by Roger H. Goun. Photo of Mitt Romney by Tim Somero. Photo of Obama with daughter from Obama.)

0 comments: